Fruit of the year 2022 : The raspberry
The raspberry (Rubus idaeus) is a plant (edible fruit ) of the rose family (Rosaceae). Like the common blackberry (Rubus fruticosus), it belongs to the genus Rubus. This genus includes more than 600 species.
The raspberry is a naturally occurring plant throughout Europe, occurring in open places in the forest and along forest edges and has been used as food since the earliest times. Cultivation dates back to the Middle Ages.
The plant is a shrub with stems up to 2 metres long. Each year, new stems are formed from root suckers. In the summer raspberry, only the two-year old stems bear fruit, after which they die. In autumn raspberries, on the other hand, the tops of the one-year shoots bear fruit. The raspberry consists of many fruits and is a collector fruit. Unlike the blackberry, the raspberry releases itself easily from the flowerbed. Most varieties bear red fruit. There are, however, a few varieties with yellow fruit.
A-SAUCE : Bonnata vanilla sauce with raspberries and dark chocolate sweets
for 4 persons
- 300 g peeled Bonnata potatoes
- 1 dl whole milk
- 1 dl water
- 5 g caster sugar + 2 sweetener tablets
- ½ vanilla bean
- Rapeseed oil
- 1 cup of raspberries
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 1 cup Melissa cress
- sauce: cut the peeled Bonnata potatoes into pieces. Cook the potatoes in 1dl milk, water, sugar and sweetener. Add the vanilla pod as well. When the potatoes are cooked, remove the vanilla bean. Scrape the vanilla bean and add the vanilla to the potatoes. Put everything in a blender, add 2 generous dashes of rapeseed oil and blend until smooth.
- raspberries: melt the chocolate on a low heat and dip the raspberries in the chocolate. Let cool on a rack.
- finishing: divide the sauce over a large plate and arrange the raspberries on top. Garnish with Melissa cress