- Bring water and sugar to the boil, let the tea brew (time depends on the kind so check the packaging).
- Sieve the tea and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Add the kombucha mushroom, and leave to ferment in a WARM & DARK place covered with a muslin cloth.
- Let ferment untouched for about 14 days, after that you can drink 80% of the juice or let it ferment in the bottle.
- You can start again with the rest, or keep it in the fridge for later.
Fermented drink : Kombucha
- 1l water
- 18g green tea
- 70g cane sugar
- 1 kombucha fungus
Fermented drink : Ginger ale
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 limes
- 100g finely chopped ginger
- 100g sugar
- 1l water
- 3 dl ginger-bug
- Cook up the sugar, water and ginger, allow to cool to room temperature and add the rest.
- Leave to ferment in a closed jar for 2 days.
- Drink ice cold.
Several spices can be added during the cooking process
(such as star anise, chilli,...)
Ginger bug is the basis for making ginger-ale, you can compare it a bit with a sourdough for bread.
All you need is cane sugar, water and ginger.
Mix: 1l water
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons ginger
in a jar and leave to ferment at room temperature.
Mix regularly and add 1 tablespoon of cane sugar and 1 tablespoon of ginger every 24 hours for 5 days.
- Put the peelings in a 2 litre glass jar with a clasp.
- Add the sugar and water to the jar. -Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Close the jar.
- Set the pot in a warm room.
- After 48 hours, the liquid will have white foam on it.
- Sieve the liquid.
- Pour the drink into a bottle; if you want more carbonation and flavour, leave it at room temperature for a day or two.
- If not, drink it immediately. You can keep it in the fridge for a few days.
Fermented drink : Tepache
- The washed skin of 1 pineapple
- 1l of water
- 100g brown cane sugar
- (possibly herbs or spices such as chilli, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, ginger etc.)
- Cut the beetroot into 2 cm cubes.
- Put them in the pot and add water and salt.
- Mix and close the jar.
- Let the drink ferment in a warm place (minimum 25 °C) for 3 days and taste regularly.
- Strain the vas through a fine mesh sieve. -You can drink it immediately or let it ferment a second time to get more bubbles.
- Leave the bottle for 2 to 3 days at room temperature.
Fermented drink : Kvas
- 1l water
- 1 large beetroot with skin
- 1 tablespoon of salt